The Beauty Spotlight Team has decided to ask each of its members to reveal a little something about themselves through a series of 20 questions. It’s Pink Sith’s turn, and while she is not a fan of assignments or required writing, she is a fan of talking about HERSELF!! So here she is in all her glory, REVEALING ALL!
It’s Jessika’s week for 20 Questions from The Beauty Spotlight Team! Will she crack under the pressure? Is there a real person under all that glitter (and hair)? It’s time to find out!
The latest feature for the Beauty Spotlight Team is team member interviews! You get an opportunity to know all the members a little bit better and this week it happens to be my turn. I’m certainly not the most interesting person in the world but what the heck, here goes… Oh and if you didn’t notice these are in totally random, nonsensical order!
- When you shop for makeup, skincare and perfume, do you do it with the blog in mind first and foremost– or with your own use in mind? I shop with myself foremost in mind. I’m not going to buy something I have no interest in. But that said, the blog is still always in mind. I am not likely to purchase something that won’t be of use to my readers. For example something that is discontinued or will be sold out by the time I review it.
- How has your relationship to beauty products changed since you began blogging? I have always been critical but I suppose it is a little more difficult to impress me given my experience with so many products. The great thing is that the cosmetic industry continues to improve and there is never a shortage of products that still manage to wow me.
- What is your greatest joy about blogging? Receiving comments from someone who I helped with one of my reviews or articles. I love helping people discover new product loves or tips!
- How much time do you spend blogging per week? I spend anywhere from 30-50. It depends how involved I am messing around with the website or trying to learn something new on top of the usual photographing, editing, and writing.
- If you could start your blog all over again, what would you differently? I don’t think I would do anything differently. I would have loved to have taken better photographs but it is all part of the growing process.
- What is the best piece of advice that you would give an aspiring beauty blogger? Don’t go into it with expectations. Expectations of press samples or recognition. Do it for YOU and do it because you love it. There should be no other reason.
- Do you consider your blog a hobby, or is it part of a larger career objective? Blogging began as a hobby and has turned into a larger career objective now that I am focusing on only my makeup artistry and blog in my career life. I have so many improvements to make but I love the freedom blogging gives us to always grow and improve.
- How do you find the motivation to keep making the effort to keep the blog going? I actually don’t find it an effort. I still genuinely love what I do. It is very stressful but I still get giddy like a school girl over pretty makeup. My passion hasn’t faded! Some days I find it hard to dedicate as much time to it as others but it is always a priority.
- What made you start blogging? Blogging for me was an outlet. A hobby. I was obsessed with cosmetics. I read blogs and talked on forums and discovered and fell in love with many niche brands. I found myself struggling to find swatches of products I was interested in particularly on fair skin. I live in a rural area so did all my shopping online and relied on blogs for reviews and swatches. I figured since I was taking a gamble buying these things online then I should share my experiences so hopefully it could help someone else like me.
- What’s the most difficult part of blogging for you? Probably the stress of feeling like I can’t get everything posted. I feel constant pressure to not let things disappear under the rug. I know this is causing me to not spend as much time on the more creative side of blogging since I find myself focusing mostly on reviews. I try to find a balance.
- Last book you read? I am trying to read Game of Thrones. I started the book back in the spring and then got sidetracked and recently picked it up again. Since I began blogging I pretty much gave up reading as all my spare time is dedicated to the site. I have been trying to put a limit on working in the evening so I can have some me time and get back into doing other things I enjoy again like a good book!
- Last concert you went to? I am not a concert goer. My only concert was back when Guns n Roses toured with Metallica. HEAVEN! Ya I’m OLD!
- What makes you feel beautiful? I feel beautiful when I love my makeup. I know it sounds silly but I am not very self confident but I can look in the mirror and appreciate the way the light hits a product on my skin or the shimmer in a beautiful colour. Makeup gives me confidence.
- Do you have a guilty pleasure? Too many. I may like whisky a little too much. And chocolate!
- Do you have a special talent? Well I can’t say that I do really. I used to have a photographic memory but alcohol and birthing children kills brain cells. No lie people! Mommy brain is not a myth!
- What time do you wake up in the morning? I usually wake up between 6 and 7am. 7am is the alarm. Any earlier and it’s my kids waking me up!
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? There were a few things that I wanted to be as I grew up. When I was very little it began as an author or artist. Then it changed to fashion designer and then architect. When I was in high school it was all about science. I wanted to get into molecular biology. Now I probably couldn’t remember a thing about it to tell you! I admit to being silly and letting a boy keep me from leaving home and going away to university. Instead I went to a local college with no idea of what to study. Let this be a lesson to you youngins! Follow your passion. And I don’t mean for boys!
- Are you a cat person or a dog person? I am both but unfortunately I’m deathly allergic to cats. I used to get an allergy shot every week when I lived with my sister and we had our cats!
- What was your first real job? My first real job was at a law firm. I couriered stuff around town and did the banking on foot and did light office work.
- If you were given a shopping spree at one store, what store would you like it to be? Hmm one where I could get beautiful makeup, clothing, and accessories. I thing that would have to be Holt Renfrew!
- Finish this sentence: Don’t start a beauty blog if…. You think it is easy and a great way to get free stuff. Blogging is a HUGE time commitment and a lot of work. If you think any of us are in it for the PR samples then you couldn’t be farther off. You have to have a genuine passion and interest in what you are writing about. When I started I had no idea anyone would really read my blog but I wanted to share info for others interested in some of the more niche brands that I was and were stuck shopping online as I was.
- What type of product is the most fun for you to test and review? I think eyeshadows have to be my favourite. I just love the amazing array of colours and finishes that you can only find in eyeshadows. Well I suppose you could say the same variety exists in the world of nail polish but it doesn’t hold quite the same draw for me.
Anything you’d like to know about me that I didn’t address? Fire away!