Just a quick face of the day post with Hourglass Immaculate Foundation in Vanilla, NARS Vent Glace Eyeshadow Duo, Anastasia Covet Waterproof Eyeliner in Astral, COVERGIRL Clean Glow Blusher in Roses, and Too Faced La Creme Lip Cream Lipstick in Honey Bear. I was going for something quick, light, and simple and I love how it turned out. It has been way too long since I’ve had out NARS Vent Glace and the COVERGIRL Clean Glow Blusher has become a go to contouring blush.
I love waterproof makeup. Not that I make a habit out of trying to concoct makeup looks that will withstand a day in the pool, but the use of a few waterproof items on a daily basis is the perfect way to ensure fade proof, long lasting looks. Something that is especially important as the hot, sweaty days of summer have already begun the appear. Mind you as I am typing this as it is snowing and blowing outside my window. Excuse me May? Sheesh!
Some of my all time favourite waterproof makeup products are:
Anastasia Lash Genius Clear Waterproof Top Coat - Turn any mascara into a waterproof mascara! It can be hard to find a waterproof mascara formula we love but thanks to Lash Genius an everyday favourite can be transformed into a waterproof version. It also works great to set brows or mix with a powdered shadow for a budgeproof liner. Check out my Lash Genius Review.
Make Up For Ever Aqua Creams – Create a budge proof look out of these cream shadows that come in gorgeous shades and offer wonderful blendability. Use everyday as a base under powder shadows to ensure your look won’t fade. I have reviewed several of the shades here and here. There are some incredible looking new shades out for summer that I can’t wait to get my hands on!
Actually all of the Make Up For Ever Aqua line is wonderful. The Aqua Rouge Liquid lipsticks, Aqua Lip lip liners, Aqua Liner liquid liners, and Aqua Eye eye pencils are products I turn to on a regular basis.
Make Up For Ever Face & Body Foundation - Beautiful, natural finish, light to medium coverage foundation that is waterproof. Perfect for hot summer days when you don’t want your foundation melting off your face!
Shop the look:
Make sure to check out the Favourite Waterproof Makeup Products of the other Makeup Wars members. Just click on the thumbnails below or use the Previous and Next buttons at the top of this post. If you have missed out on the previous Makeup Wars posts then be sure to check them out, including our Favourite Masks, Favourite Non Powder Eye Shadows, April Fools Day Prank, Spa Pampering at Home, Pantone Color of the Year Emerald Green Looks, Travel Picks, Valentines Day Look, Holiday Look, Holiday Wishlists, Favourite Mascaras, Favourite Fall Look, Favourite Red Lip, Favourite Makeup Brush, Favourite Fall Nail Polish, and Most Expensive Makeup Look.
So I’m not really going on vacation. Oh how I WISH I were going on vacation. Even just for a weekend. It is just not in the cards right now, nor will it be for quite a long time. Given that in years past my hubby and I have gone on a few tropical winter getaway vacations, including our wedding, I am not unfamiliar with how I pack for these things, so were are going to exercise a bit of imagination here.
Now when I go on vacation, and I mean a week long proper vacation, I don’t really concern myself with packing light when it comes to my beauty essentials. If I am on vacation it means I am going “out” far more often than in my usual life of drudgery. What better time to make the most out of all the beautiful makeup I own? So when I am packing for vacation I use these basic “rules”.
- Pack my favourites (of the moment).
- Make sure those favourites will create a variety of looks without a tonne of products
- I (try t0) make sure those favourites aren’t limited edition.
What this means is I pack my favourites regardless of whether they are pricey or not. On my last vacation to Mexico I packed primarily Chanel. I will tell you that I did break the limited edition rule because I remember packing my Chanel Tentation Cuivree Quad because it was a favourite smoky eye look at the time. (I just had a massive meltdown realizing I sold this in a blog sale. What the heck was I thinking *sigh*). Since I like to bring my “good stuff” on vacation I do pack it in my carry on. maybe this isn’t the best use of space but really, makeup doesn’t take up a tonne of room right?
So lets say I won a vacation and had to pack up to leave tomorrow. Here are what my choices would be. These items would be packed in a makeup bag I purchased at Winners many years ago. We are taking possibly a decade. I used to use it to actually store my makeup collection before it got way out of hand. Hard to imagine most of my stuff fit in there at one point! Ridiculous really. How do people live like that? LOL It is from a brand called Murval. I never even really looked at the brand name on it before creating this post but it looks like they bags, apparel, and home products. I absolutely adore this bag because it is so compartmentalized and keeps all my things well organized, visible, and easy to find. There are multiple removable, and fixed, mesh zippered pouches. There is also a section for makeup brushes but I prefer to keep them protected in one of the zippered pouches.
Most of these products have been linked to their original reviews, (which took me forever!) so I encourage you to click on them to see why I find them travel worthy companions!
The first zippered pouch holds some compacts to offer a variety of eye looks and colourful cheeks:
- Benefit Dallas My bronzer of choice. Not muddy or orange.
- Yves Saint Laurent Radiant Blush #6 The perfect pink flush.
- Chanel Malice Joues Contraste My favourite coral blush.
- Le Metier De Beaute Poppy Creme Fresh Tint This cream lip and cheek tint is just magic.
- Dior Smoky Khaki Trio I love this eye palette with tropical coral lips and cheeks.
- Yves Saint Laurent Pure Chromatics Palette in #12 perfect smoky eye palette
- The Urban Decay Naked Palette (this is the only palette of large number of neutrals I own) is loose inside the makeup bag.
The second removable zippered pouch holds an assortment of brushes (mostly MAC, Real Techniques and bdellium). I should have took a picture of them all out to show you as most are hiding. It also holds any eye and brow pencils.
- My two double ended Urban Decay 24/7 liners. (4 liners in 1. Perfect for travel!)
- Lancome Kohl In Love in Jade Crush
- Anastasia Brow Wiz in Ash Blonde
The center zippered pouch holds:
- shu uemura Eyelash Curler
- Anastasia Bro Powder Duo in Ash Blonde
- Tweezerman metal lash comb
- MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Cream in 2 Steel, 13 Warm Beige, and 15 Taupe (perfect bases or can use alone as a waterproof, beach worthy look)
- Waterproof mascara. I don’t own any right now so Anastasia Lash Genius Waterproof Top Coat would solve that paired with any of my other mascaras.
- YSL Glossy Stains in Peche Cerra-Colla, Corail Aquatique, and Rose Vinyl Gorgeous colour and shine without having to worry about touch ups all day while enjoying margaritas at the pool.
- Giorgio Armani Rouge d’Armani lipsticks in Beige 102, Beige 103 Can’t go anywhere without these favourites.
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Succulence of Dew Lipsticks in Dissolved in Dreams the juiciest looking lips ever.
- Chanel Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss in Attirance and Merveille so in love with these right now!
- Maybelline Color Whisper Lipsticks in Who Wore it Red-er and Cherry on Top for some bolder colour that feels light on the lips.
- A couple Rouge Bunny Rouge Long Lasting Lip Pencils
The final large zippered pouch contains most of my face and skincare items:
- MAC travel sized Cleanse Off Oil
- KORRES Yoghurt Instant Soothing Gel
- KORRES Wild Rose Instant Brightening Eye Cream
- I have two favourite sunscreens. MD Solar Sciences Sunscreens and Algenist Ultra Lightweight UV Defense Fluid. The MD is 35ml and the Algenist 30ml so it wins for travel in my carryon.
- Skindinavia Setting Spray To keep my makeup fresh in the heat. Ahhh HEAT.
- Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm Travel friendly tube and added SPF perfection. Great for when I just want to even my skin out a bit without makeup.
- Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation (review coming soon!)
- Make Up For Ever Pro Finish Foundation (to use as foundation and setting powder)
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light (Review coming very soon. Loving this for setting my face.)
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Luminous Skin Wand in Orionis (Seriously, why haven’t I reviewed this yet?)
- MAKE UP FOR EVER Full Cover Concealer (Another staple yet to be reviewed. Waterproof coverage.)
- MAC Too Chic Beauty Powder (Breaks my LE rule but one of my all time favourite highlighters and also my least expensive.)
I weighed my packed makeup bag and it weighs 4 pounds. Quite a hefty portion of my carry on luggage but that is a sacrifice, as a beauty lover, I have no trouble making. There is actually still room in my fabulous travel makeup bag so I can guarantee you that there would be some last minute additions before I left. The one item I would likely add is the Yves Saint Laurent Y Facettes Eye Palette from Spring 2013. It breaks my LE rule but it is so colourful and perfect for a tropical vacation. I also would likely throw in some nice skincare samples. I also forgot fragrance so some of my decants and samples would be added as well. It may seem like I packed an excessive amount of lip products and I should probably cut back given I packed more things than days I will be on vacation…but I would probably throw a few more in my handbag including my Lancome Baume in Love in Urban Ballet.
Well I hope you enjoyed my emotionally scarring experience of packing for an imaginary winter getaway and having to take photos of said imaginary packing outside in -20°C/-4°F weather. I’m off to go warm up with a hot coffee and Bailey’s and try to forget about my longing for a beach.
Make sure to check out the Travel Picks of the other Makeup Wars members. Just click on the thumbnails below or use the Previous and Next buttons at the top of this post. If you have missed out on the previous Makeup Wars be sure to check them out, including some of my favourites like our Valentines Day Look, Holiday Look, Holiday Wishlists, Favourite Mascaras, Favourite Fall Look, Favourite Red Lip, Favourite Makeup Brush, Favourite Fall Nail Polish, and Most Expensive Makeup Look.