Eyeshadows have always been one of my favourite cosmetic items. Your eyes are where you can be the most adventurous with your colour choices. I remember how very excited I was a few years back when I finally had LASIK eye surgery because people would finally be able to actually see my eye makeup. Powder eye shadows will always be my favourite. The gorgeous variation in finishes and shades never ceases to amaze and entice me. While I feel I have far more eyeshadows than any one person should ever need in one lifetime it does not keep me from wanting more on a regular basis. You may say that powder eye shadows are my cosmetic drug of choice. Cream eyeshadows are a product that I only began experimenting with more in the last several years. I still feel the need on most occasions to top a cream or stick eye shadow with a powder one but it doesn’t make me value them any less. As bases, colour altering or enhancing aids, or stand alone products, cream and stick eye shadows are something that every beauty lover needs in their collection. The Makeup Wars members are going to share with you our favourites today. All products are linked to their original reviews where available.
I have many, many potted cream shadows. I narrowed it down to 8 of my most reach for products.
- MAC Paint Pot in Painterly - I use this multiple times weekly. It has become an essential base for me for evening out the colour of my lids for any look and helping eyeshadow look more vibrant and stay put.
- Maybelline Color Tattoo 24hr Metal Eyeshadow in 70 Barely Branded (or 100 Barely Beige) – I love these cream shadows for making bright, light shades pop on my lid or inner corner. Take my Bright Eyes, Glowy Skin, Rosy Cheek Look for example.
- Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream #13 Warm Beige – Beautiful alone on the lid or as a base for soft neutral looks this cream gets a lot of use in my pro kit as well. I love the MUFE Aqua Creams and have doubles of many for us on brides. These babies stay put all day without budging and make any eye look bullet proof.
- Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Shadow in Sandy Gold – I still need to get a review up for this gorgeous sandy gold shade. It has the most dreamy fine shimmer/golden iridescence that doesn’t come across adequately in pictures.
- Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream #15 Taupe – I love this Aqua cream as a base for deeper neutral looks as well as for a quick and easy eye look just applied onto the lid and blended out into the crease.
- Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream #16 Pink Beige – I get a lot of use on this for brides as well for romantic pink toned neutral eye looks.
- Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream #2 Steel – This cream shadow is perfection as a base for a smokey eye look but also looks amazing worn alone on the lid blended out into the crease. It has a gorgeous finish.
- Maybelline Color Tattoo 24 Hour Shadow in Edgy Emerald – This cream eye shadow became a favourite base for teal, or aqua infused eye looks including one of my favourites using the Giorgio Armani Summer 2012 Eyes to Kill eyeshadows shown in this Makeup Wars look post.
- I’m also really loving my new Benefit Creaseless Cream eyeshadows. I haven’t found a way to fit them into my current storage with my other cream shadows so I totally forgot to included them when selecting my favourites to photograph for this post. Oops!
Now on to pencil/stick eyeshadows.
I don’t have much in the way of eye shadow sticks but the brands that have really stood out for me are the Canadian brands Annabelle and Marcelle and also the Mally Beauty Eye Shadow Sticks are amazing.
- NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk – This cult classic is perfect as a base when you really want eye shadows to stand out. It works particularly well under pastels as well as in the inner corner of the eye.
- Marcelle Lux Cream Shadow + Liner in Sea Breeze – This is a beautiful spring summer shade. I love it on the lower lash liner or on the lid. It has excellent staying power and doesn’t budge or smudge.
- Annabelle Smoothie Eyeshadow Pencil in Absinthe-Minded – I picked this pencil up when looking for a beautiful shade of green for my Fashion Magazine Beauty Panel Emerald Green Look post.
- Mally Eye Shadow Stick in Champagne - I adore all of the shades I have but I really love Champange for an eye brightening inner corner shade that will stay put all day.
Make sure to check out the favorite non powder eyeshadows of the other Makeup Wars members. Just click on the thumbnails below or use the Previous and Next buttons at the top of this post. If you have missed out on the previous Makeup Wars be sure to check them out, including our April Fools Day Prank, Spa Pampering at Home, Pantone Color of the Year Emerald Green Looks, Travel Picks, Valentines Day Look, Holiday Look, Holiday Wishlists, Favourite Mascaras, Favourite Fall Look, Favourite Red Lip, Favourite Makeup Brush, Favourite Fall Nail Polish, and Most Expensive Makeup Look.