theBalm Mary-Lou Manizer Highlighter ~ Swatches, Photos, Review

I have considered purchasing theBalm Mary-Lou Manizer for probably a couple of years now. I had heard so many raves about it. I’d played with it a few times in store and thought it seemed to be a little too frosty for my tastes. I like my highlighters to be very refined and subtle. Well years of experience have taught me that how something swatches can’t always accurately represent how it applies to the face with the right brush so I finally decided to give Mary-Lou a chance.

What TheBalm says:

What it is: A silky smooth pressed powder that can be used as a highlighter, shimmer, and shadow. What it does: This highlighter, shadow, and shimmer diffuses light so your skin looks softer and younger while adding a subtle glow. Layer this paraben- and talc-free formula on your lids for luxe-looking lashes, sweep it on your cheeks for a sexy sheen, or use it as an allover finishing touch before hitting the town. What else you need to know: It comes in a sleek mirrored compact for easy transport.Size: 0.3 oz

Click to enlarge.

You can indeed obtain a more subtle effect my applying lightly with a fluffy brush. I like using my MAC 188 small skunk brush. It is easy to overdo it though and highlight any pores or flaws. In the end I love the shade and lack of sparkles. It is a lovely soft powder that applies beautifully. Using this on the eyes is a great way to enjoy the gorgeous glow this product offers. I think my original instincts of it being just a touch too much for my boring cheek highlighter preferences were bang on but Mary-Lou still has a place in my heart stash.

I purchased this online from theBalm. It can also be found at some Rexall Pharma Plus locations throughout Canada, Nordstrom,, and at Sephora.

This post includes affiliate links. By shopping through them Perilously Pale receives a small commission. Doing so helps support this site and provides additional content.

• Bailey- I Know All the Words
    July 11, 2012 at 6:01 AM

I recently got this too! I wasn’t sure about it at first, but I looove it.

Yes, that many ‘o’s are necessary! 😀

• Sue Lin
    July 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I pass this little product many a times and never given much thought about it, even though I love the packaging. Now I know that it’s talc and paraben-free, it’s hard to pass this one up!

• Sunny
    July 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM

At the moment my go-go highlighter is Chanel Sable Rose! I use a duo-fibre blush brush to sweep the bottom part of the compact, and since the powder and shimmer are SO fine I don’t tend to get a shimmer overdose. I’ve heard a lot of good things about this one. Maybe a duo-fibre brush would help keep the amount you put on the face under control? xx

• Perilously Pale
    July 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Yes that’s exactly what I do Sunny. I use my MAC 188 Duo fibre. I keep hearing talk of Sable Rose. Maybe I shouldn’t have passed on it? *sigh*

• Suselew
    July 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Unfortunately, for some reason Sephora doesn’t seem to carry this online. That seems strange considering it’s at

• Perilously Pale
    July 11, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I know they used to Suselew. Maybe it’s out of stock? I just searched and there are reviews for it on Sephora?

• lola seicento
    July 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM

THis is gorgeous. I have been so curious about theBAlm products for a few years as well, but for some reason haven’t tried anything from the line yet. You now have me even more curious!

• LuvJ
    July 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I think this highlighter is so underrated. I love this as well :)

• MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone)
    July 12, 2012 at 2:12 AM

I bought this on Hautelook months and months ago and it’s sitting unused. I’ve got to get to it now.

• Phyrra
    July 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I think I have this somewhere in my makeup stash form Hautelook. Love your review!