Dare to Go Bare with Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream ~ Swatches, Photos, Review

I was lucky enough to be invited to the Maybelline Canada Fall 2012 Global Beauty Trends event last week in Toronto. We were shown some incredible fall trend looks by Maybelline New York’s head Canadian makeup artist Grace Lee. I received a beautiful hard cover Global Beauty Trends Book that I will try to share with you in a future post. We were also introduced to some new and upcoming products from Maybelline. One of the ones I’m most excited to share with you is the new Dream Fresh BB Cream which is available this month.
The one-step wonder for good a good skin day, every day.
Maybelline promotes an 8-in-1 solution for modern women everywhere:
  1. Helps prevent sunburn with SPF 30.
  2. Helps blur the look of imperfections.
  3. Creates a natural looking glow.
  4. Skin looks visibly smoother.
  5. Compliments skin tone.
  6. Hydrates all day.
  7. Feels fresh.
  8. Oil-free.
The Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream contains skin improving benefits such as glycerin for hydration, aloe extract to soothe, and chamomile extract to calm skin. It is a water-gel formula that glides on and blends into skin for discreet coverage.
There are so many reasons I’m excited about this new BB Cream. I will try to highlight a few of them:
  • Extensive shade range of 5 shades ranging from very fair to very deep. I’d heard some attendees excited about the fact this was the first BB cream they had tried that offered a deep enough shade for their skin. There are also two exceptional offerings for us pale skinned gals. The sample I was provided was in the shade Light Medium which as you’ll see is a great match. Even more exciting than that there is an even lighter shade called Light. This is also an excellent match for my skin when I am not aiming to blend in my freckles as much and for the winter months.
  • There is a sun protection factor of 30 from purely mineral sunscreen (titanium dioxide).
  • It looks amazing on skin and it’s completely invisible! It managed to do a lovely job of naturally evening out my skin tone yet I could not detect it on my face at all. Usually with any product I have at least a small amount of accumulation of product in the deep creases around my mouth and nose. With Maybelline Dream Fresh BB cream there was nothing.
  • You can reapply this throughout the day for additional sun protection and it still looks perfect. This part truly astounded me. When I first applied it for testing I didn’t bother setting it with a powder because I was so in love with the finish. Several hours later in the day I was going out and decided to reapply just to see what happened. Well it freshened up the finish and coverage and was STILL completely invisible. No issues with the product caking or looking unnatural. It was if I’d freshly applied it on clean skin. Later that evening when going out again I reapplied it a third time with the same amazing results. This truly impressed me. We all know we are supposed to reapply sunscreen throughout the day but on my face I never do because I’m not about to remove my makeup for reapplication every time. Now when I know I will be spending the day in the sun I will be wearing Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream!
  • Incredibly affordable. A 30ml tube retails for only $10.99 CA.
Shade comparison to the Marcelle BB Cream in Light Medium:

Before and after:

Click to enlarge.
*Please note products provided by company for my consideration. All reviews are always my own honest and unbiased opinion.

• GiN
    June 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I have been looking for this EVERYWHERE and I cant find it! I’ve been hearing great things about it though:)

• Christa
    June 5, 2012 at 7:10 PM

It sounds impressive!

• RaeRae
    June 5, 2012 at 7:28 PM

So impressed that this runs so light, most Western BBs have been far too dark for me. Love that you can reapply, too… May well have to grab a tube for Summer!

• BooBooNinja
    June 6, 2012 at 5:12 AM

Boo… I refreshed the page before my comment finished publishing. :(
    I like how the BB cream doesn’t get cakey upon reapplication. I was wondering, however, how a second layer looks on top of other makeup products like blush, bronzer, and highlighter. Did you have any difficulty with the BB cream covering those products? Or did you have to wipe off some of the original makeup?

• Perilously Pale
    June 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I had just used a light amount of cream blush and highlighter that day and it was fine. If I knew I was going to be in the sun all day, at the cottage for example, I would just go easy on blush etc. so I could reapply and focus on eyes and lips. πŸ˜‰

• Becca @ The Beauty Sample
    June 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM

This looks intriguing! I have honestly not been tempted or even remotely curious about any drugstore foundations/tinted moisturizers/face makeup products since I was a teen. I have very picky skin, so I don’t stray from my high-end foundations. That being said, I am really curious to try this one. I like that it’s oil-free and comes in many shades. Do you know if/when the U.S will get this??

• Lisa Scott
    June 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

It looks very natural. I am presenting using the Marcelle BB but it doesn’t have an SPF and I find my skin extremely oily after a few hours of use.

• Alex Kay
    June 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Can’t wait to pick this up! Which stores have you seen it in?

• Perilously Pale
    June 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Becca I’m not sure when it will be available in the US? The Canadian release date is June and US always seems to get things first so I would think you’d see it soon!

Alex I haven’t been shopping lately but I believe it’s being rolled out to stores as we speak.

• BooBooNinja
    June 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

That makes sense – thanks :)

• ommorphiabeautybar.com
    June 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

This looks so promising; I had picked up the Garnier version when it was released (can’t believe it only comes in 2 shades – what’s with that?) and unfortunately it really failed on me – so incredibly greasy feeling and too strongly scented for my liking. I’ve been using NARS Radiant Tinted Moisturizer, and while it’s not exactly touted as a BB cream, it basically has the same properties — but at a much steeper price point. This Maybelline BB cream sounds amazing and I love the fact that it comes in so many choices of shade – thanks for the heads up Christa!

• Perilously Pale
    June 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Eugenia it certainly doesn’t offer a lot of coverage but enough that I feel more polished. Luckily this doesn’t really have a scent. It’s such a great price point that there’s nothing to lose trying it out!

• BooBooNinja
    June 7, 2012 at 6:53 PM

It’s a bit hard for me to tell, but is the Marcelle version a touch more yellow? Texture-wise, do you prefer one brand’s BB over the other?

On a side note: It’s too bad Marcelle’s version doesn’t include SPF, as I like supporting Canadian companies. I know an SPF BB is in the works, but it seems like Marcelle wanted to push a product to launch.

• Beauty Box
    June 8, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Looks great on you…What we have in Japan is really different from this Canadian version…We just have two shades and the finish is kind of oily…I tend to use mine to lighten foundations that are too dark for me, esp in the winter.

• Tina
    June 21, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Great review, and judging by the photos the finish must be lovely indeed!
    I’ll keep an eye out for this one, thank you! :)

• anilong
    November 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Recently I was REALLY low on money and debts were eating me from all sides! That was UNTIL I decided to make money.. on the internet. I went to surveymoneymaker dot net, and started filling in surveys for cash, and surely I’ve been far more able to pay my bills!! I’m so glad, I did this!!! – b8jj